The twenty years of EdTech topics demonstrated how fast changing the field is. I picked up on the trend that with all the new changes, there was a lot of hesitancy and uncertainty around adopting the new developments to online learning. It seemed like there was a lot of trial and error and adjustments being made when there was a need for it. A common theme among the topics, and was mentioned during the first webinar from Helen Dewaard, is that technology is simply a tool to connect humans to humans. I can see from a literal point of view that connections are made from human to human through means of videos, blogs, and social media. I see the emergence of these topics as a key stepping stone to humanization online. Like interacting in person, through the use of text, video and audio, one can relay information or a message across to a user or many users globally.

For videos, making eye contact and using gestures towards the camera is a form of humanization. As a user on the receiving end, seeing the person who has the appearance of their attention directed at them and certain gestures to pick up on body language in a given context, simulates talking to someone as if they were standing right in front of you. This personalizes the users experience and when teaching online, a similar approach can be made to make it appear as if each learner is being addressed to. From personal experience, when I have talked to people and they are looking at their phones, I feel as though it is a one sided conversation and whatever is happening on their phone is more important than our conversation. In that moment I feel dehumanized and being replaced by a phone.

Similar to the article “What is Human-Centered Instruction” (n.d), the topic from 2015: Digital Badges discussed by Dr. Weller (2020), explained the excitement around gamification and motivating learners through digital rewards. I wonder the thought process and the reasons to implement a feature like this online? Drawing out an empathy map and how a learner would think, feel, say and do with receiving a digital reward, I initially think of satisfaction, confidence, excitement and, motivation. It is a smart way of giving feedback to learners in a fun way and an alternative to receiving an intimidating number that can be detrimental to their belief in their self. It ties in psychology into the mix where digital badges can generate a positive feedback loop and encourage a learner to continue and do their best. Of course, this method will not work for everyone, but it is an innovative way to encourage online learning.

Two questions that I have for Dr. Weller include:

1. In your opinion, what topic (out of the twenty) has had the biggest impact to online learning and why?
  2. What is one thing that you think could be done differently online, to improve online learning? (The usage of different tools, technology that has yet been developed, …)

Out of the twenty topics, digital badges, twitter and social media, video, and blogs interest me the most. Perhaps because I can relate to them the most and use them almost on a daily basis.

The following are pictures of my notes that I took on all twenty topics:

Weller, M. (2020). 25 Years of ed tech. AU Press. Retrieved from https://read.aupress.ca/read/25-years-of-ed-tech/section/e69021f2-91b6-4ca4-9d0b-81d3e9748707

What is Human-Centered Instruction? https://www.leadsv.com/hcn