One major aspect of online learning is centering the learner. It is a simple idea on the surface, yet digging deeper, presents many complex roots that are intertwined and woven all around. How do educators, parents and people who support learners, help create an environment for learners to foster community in online learning? In this week’s readings, Barnes shared that the teacher being put in a learners position can help simulate what it is like being a learner and make required adjustments in teaching having been put in their “shoes”. I believe it is important to explore ourselves (educators) better, and unravel pieces including our strengths and weaknesses as a learner. From here, educators can gain empathy with learners and use that to develop insights and transition to looking at the community of learners, classrooms and peers, with an eye on creating equity, support, and ways in which we can help each other whilst achieving personalized goals.

I believe gaining empathy goes hand-in-hand in what Barnes says with, “Deep knowledge of subject matter is only one piece of being a quality instructor. Keeping students engaged in that content, particularly online, involves understanding learning theories, student motivation, and how to use resources to deliver the content”. One approach to develop understanding on what works, is to be the learner and go through some of the experiences a learner might go through such as aspects of success and struggle. It reminds me of myself and being an athlete. I know how to be successful in rowing and can hop in a boat and start rowing with my eyes closed and make it appear effortless. However, even though I have a lot of knowledge in the domain of rowing, when the roles are turned and I am put in a position of teaching others how to row it is not as simple as I would have thought. My tacit knowledge takes over and it is extremely hard to translate my own experiences and feelings into words to convey to others. That has taught me to try to look at the problem or subject from the learners point of view so I don’t have any assumptions on what they may already know and break it down in constructive ways that suits more than one style of learner.

Evidently, clear communication is a key factor along with understanding learners and their needs. I believe that building community and trust can help with social presence which in turn can help with collaborating and learning educator-to-peer, peer-to-peer, community-to-peer. Kilgore’s and Lowenthal’s (2015) study points out that the trust aspect of social presence in establishing a Community of Inquiry can be diminished, as learners felt they could not question one another because there lacked a sense of boundaries and atmosphere of safety. I thought this was interesting and made me reflect on my teaching assistant position I am currently in. As I teach first year students how to code in a synchronous online environment, there are moments where it does get overwhelming when I am talking in Zoom and at the same time there is a stream of questions coming in, most not even related to what I was currently talking about. With in-person structure, that would not happen or else you would have people talking over each other and perhaps the physical presence of the audience helps keep the topic related to what is being discussed. Setting boundaries at the beginning may be very important to have structured discussions. Although,  setting boundaries would have to be done in a way that does not discourage participation and the feeling of trust. I would be curious to learn about more approaches to simulating an in-person experience with commenting on chat in real time.

Barnes, C.L. (201). Where’s the Teacher ? Defining the Role of Instructor Presence in Social Presence and Cognition in Online Education. Humanizing Online Teaching and Learning. Retrieved from https://humanmooc.pressbooks.com/chapter/wheres-the-teacher-defining-the-role-of-instructor-presence-in-social-presence-and-cognition-in-online-education/

Kilgore, W. & Lowenthal, P. (2015). The human element MOOC. In R. W. Wright (Ed.),  Student-teacher interaction in online learning environments. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference.